On October 16, 2012 the Montgomery County Council approved Resolution 17-564 that established the Food Recovery Working Group (FRWG) and members were appointed on November 27, 2012. The Working Group was asked to develop a report detailing how to create and implement a food recovery system in Montgomery County.
Members represent the Department of Health and Human Services; the Office of Community Partnerships; the Agricultural Services Division of the Department of Economic Development; the Food Council; Montgomery County Public Schools; Manna Food Center; the Maryland Restaurant Association; non-profit organizations; local faith-based institutions, farms, supermarkets, universities, and advocacy groups focusing on gardening, nutrition and/or ending hunger.
The Food Recovery Working Group delivered its Action Plan to County Council in August 2013, which became the basis of Community Food Rescue. The FRWG continues to guide the development of Community Food Rescue, as a working group of the Montgomery County Food Council. The group meets on the second Thursday of the month at the County Council Building, 100 Maryland Ave. 5th fl. Conference room, Rockville, MD.
Active Food Recovery Working Group Organizations
- A Wider Circle
- Capital Area Food Bank
- Celestial Manna
- DC Central Kitchen
- Family Services Inc
- Food Recovery Network
- Full Plate Ventures
- Gaithersburg HELP
- Hungry Harvest
- Interfaith Works
- Julie’s Pantry
- Manna Food Center
- Maryland Restaurant Association
- Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless
- Montgomery County Dept. of Health and Human Services
- Montgomery County Dept. of Econ. Devel–Ag Services
- Montgomery County Public Schools Food Services
- Montgomery College
- Montgomery County Council staff
- Rainbow Community Development Center
- Say No to Food Waste
- Shepherd’s Table
- University of Maryland Campus Kitchens
- Washington Regional Convergence Partnership
- Women Who Care Ministries
Some of these organizations are able to receive food donations now. Click here for a listing.