Community Food Rescue will only succeed and scale up if we have volunteers who can transport food from food donors to food recipient organizations. We seek people with vehicles, good driving records, and a few extra hours to join our volunteer food runner corps. It’s easy to use our new, Web-based matching software, powered by Peninsula Food Runners. Once you register and complete a profile listing your availability and preferred location, you will be sent emails or texts when food runs are needed. The first person to accept the run, gets to fulfill the run.
Why participate as a CFR Volunteer Food Runner?
- In Montgomery County, 23% of all solid waste is food waste, while 78,000-81,000 (8%) of residents do not know where their next meal will come from.
- You will help achieve the county’s recycling goal of 70% by 2020.
- Participants are protected from liability through the Good Samaritan Act.
- Volunteers will learn about safe food handling and transportation practices through CFR’s Food Safety Guide, free training, and on-line videos.
- This is a great activity for individuals, whole families, and groups.
To participate, sign up to indicate your willingness to volunteer with CFR and try the free Web app. We will let you know later this summer when you can access the free Web app to set up your profile and begin volunteering. Help us fill bellies instead of the landfill. SIGN UP HERE to be a volunteer food runner today!