Community Food Rescue’s FREE matching Web Application is now available. Click HERE to sign up.
Community Food Rescue (CFR) is the coordinated food recovery network for Montgomery County, Maryland. This system enhances the good work of businesses, individuals, and organizations that already recover and redistribute perfectly good food to people experiencing hunger.
Every year in Montgomery County, Maryland…
- 246,000 tons (23%) of the County’s solid waste is food waste. (Montgomery County Waste Composition Study, July 26, 2013)
- 79,000-81,000 (8%) of Montgomery County residents do not know where their next meal will come from. (Feeding America’s Map the Meal Gap study)
- 35% of children in Montgomery County public schools qualify for free or reduced meals. (Montgomery County Public Schools)
Click HERE to register and start using Community Food Rescue’s FREE matching Web application.
Recovering unsold, surplus food is easy with CFR’s Web application, which will match food donations with hunger relief organizations and, if needed, volunteer food runners for transportation. The Web app, powered by Peninsula Food Runners, currently matches 30,000 meals per week in the San Francisco Bay Area and has been tailored for use in Montgomery County, Maryland.
Join the Community Food Rescue Network so that together, we can feed more and waste less!
Manna Food Center the largest food recovery and distribution organization in Montgomery County–leads CFR. Cheryl Kollin, Full Plate Ventures, serves as Program Manager. CFR is made possible through the generous support of Montgomery County and Burness. Join our growing list of participants:
- Capital Area Food Bank
- DC Central Kitchen
- Family Services Inc.
- Food Recovery Network
- Gaithersburg HELP
- Hungry Harvest
- Interfaith Works
- Julie’s Pantry
- Manna Food Center
- Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless
- Montgomery County Dept. of Health and Human Services
- Montgomery County Dept. of Econ. Devel–Ag Services
- Montgomery County Public Schools Food Services
- Rainbow Community Development Center
- Shepherd’s Table